Sometimes we complain about rules. Imagine a person so ridiculous as to complain about the legalism of lines on the road. This imaginary person not only resents the lines, but decides to ignore them entirely. This fool soon becomes known for causing accidents and hurting himself and others.
I share with you some rules from a wise man. Not to cramp your style, or ruin your fun, but because they are actually helpful, and could end up saving a life.
In 1894, missionary Jonathan Goforth wrote these 7 rules for daily living on the fly-leaf of his Bible:
1. Seek to give much—expect nothing.
2. Put the very best construction on the actions of others.
3. Never let a day pass without at least a quarter of an hour spent in the study of the Bible.
4. Never omit daily morning and evening private prayer and devotion.
5. In all things seek to know God’s Will and when known obey at any cost.
6. Seek to cultivate a quiet prayerful spirit.
7. Seek each day to do or say something to further Christianity among the heathen.
May they be a help for you, as they were for me.